Pulled Pork Buns-yum

On Tuesday I made something like cinnamon buns...but with pork instad of cinnamon sugar filling.  I know, it sounds weird but it was pretty good!

 



I found the idea here but in typical Christina fashion, I didn't follow the recipie.  Instead, I looked for a home made BBQ sauce recipie and used my own for the dough (I've had this recipie since I was 15 and have used it so much. It's actually for cinnamon rolls).
I've been searching high and low for a Guiness BBQ Sauce recipie and finally found one! 
I followed that recipie but used less garlic and aded a teaspoon of pulled pork spice (found at Bulk Barn).  We don't have a blender so I just strained all the onion chunks out at the end.

Here is what I used and what I did for this meal.

Instructions:
Dough Recipie and Instructions:
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and cut in the butter until crumbly
  2. Make a well in the centre of the dough and pour in the milk
  3. Stir to form a soft dough and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface
  4. Knead 8-10 times and roll into a rectangle
  5. Lay the pork evenly across the dough, roll and cut into equal pieces (I made 4 large buns but the recipie usually makes 12 normal sized buns)
  6. Place in an ungreased muffin tin and cook at 400F for about 30 minutes

That's it!  I found that the pork dried out a bit when cooking so I added a bit of extra sauce part way through.  Since the buns were so large they didn't fully cook all the way through, so be mindful of that. 

This recipie was so easy to make!  I made the sauce on Monday evening and cooked the pork in our slow cooker overnight.  I strained the sauce and cut the pork the next morning and it took me about 5 minutes.  The dough took about 10 minutes to make and I cooked the buns for about 30.  Easy peasy!  Since I made 4 buns we were each able to have 1 for dinner and take 1 for lunch today:) And I doubled the sauce recipe so we have lots of extra for steak, chicken, etc.
 



Labels:

Our Wood Home: Pulled Pork Buns-yum

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pulled Pork Buns-yum

On Tuesday I made something like cinnamon buns...but with pork instad of cinnamon sugar filling.  I know, it sounds weird but it was pretty good!

 



I found the idea here but in typical Christina fashion, I didn't follow the recipie.  Instead, I looked for a home made BBQ sauce recipie and used my own for the dough (I've had this recipie since I was 15 and have used it so much. It's actually for cinnamon rolls).
I've been searching high and low for a Guiness BBQ Sauce recipie and finally found one! 
I followed that recipie but used less garlic and aded a teaspoon of pulled pork spice (found at Bulk Barn).  We don't have a blender so I just strained all the onion chunks out at the end.

Here is what I used and what I did for this meal.

Instructions:
  •  place 2 boneless pork chops in a slow cooker and cover with the sauce
  • cook on Low for 6 hours
  • remove the pork chops and shred them using a fork and knife (it's suuuuper easy!)
  • cool before placing on dough
  • pour remaning sauce into a colinder and strain out an large pieces
  • store strained sauce in a container in the fridge and use for dipping or adding to cooked buns
Dough Recipie and Instructions:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 4 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1 cup cold milk
  1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and cut in the butter until crumbly
  2. Make a well in the centre of the dough and pour in the milk
  3. Stir to form a soft dough and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface
  4. Knead 8-10 times and roll into a rectangle
  5. Lay the pork evenly across the dough, roll and cut into equal pieces (I made 4 large buns but the recipie usually makes 12 normal sized buns)
  6. Place in an ungreased muffin tin and cook at 400F for about 30 minutes

That's it!  I found that the pork dried out a bit when cooking so I added a bit of extra sauce part way through.  Since the buns were so large they didn't fully cook all the way through, so be mindful of that. 

This recipie was so easy to make!  I made the sauce on Monday evening and cooked the pork in our slow cooker overnight.  I strained the sauce and cut the pork the next morning and it took me about 5 minutes.  The dough took about 10 minutes to make and I cooked the buns for about 30.  Easy peasy!  Since I made 4 buns we were each able to have 1 for dinner and take 1 for lunch today:) And I doubled the sauce recipe so we have lots of extra for steak, chicken, etc.
 



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home