pigs-in-a-blanket...for adults!


When I was a kid my mom would make my brothers and I the most decadent of meals…pigs in a blanket.  We’d watch eagerly as she boiled the hot dogs and carefully opened that delicious tube of Pillsbury crescent roll dough.  Mmm…I’m not ashamed to say I would eat a pig in a blanket if one was offered to me.

I didn’t post my food memory just to be nostalgic; I posted it because I have created the adult version of pigs in a blanket!  Last week my husband requested ham for dinner.  I’ve only ever seen my mom make ham and she would just put a whole hunk of meat into the slow cooker and sprinkle it with brown sugar.  I asked David how he wanted me to cook it and he suggested I use the leftover Guinness BBQ sauce.  After a full 7 hours of slow cooking, we were ready to eat our glorious ham (yeah, I’m a bit dramatic).  I served it with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.  We had some ham leftover so David asked me to make ‘ham buns’ (similar to the pork buns I’ve made before).  I used the same dough recipe as I did for the pork buns and David declared pork/ham buns are his new favourite food.  As we were eating he said the ham kind of tasted like hot dogs.  I took a few more bites and agreed.  Then I told him the dough tasted like the Pillsbury crescent rolls…so ham that tastes like hotdogs + dough that tastes like Pillsbury rolls = PIGS IN A BLANKET FOR ADULTS!  Oooooh my goodness, what have I created?! 

Instructions:
 
Dough Recipie and Instructions:

  1. Mix together the dry ingredients  
2.      Cut in butter until dough becomes crumbly

3.      Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk

4.      Stir to form a soft dough then turn out onto floured surface

5.      Knead 8-10 times and roll into a rectangle

6.      Place cut and cooled ham in a row about 2/3 of the way down dough

7.      Roll the dough and ham into a log by wrapping the bottom section of dough over the ham

8.      Cover that wrapped dough with the top section of dough and “glue” in place with melted butter

9.      Insert toothpicks to keep dough together if needed

10.   (I cut my log into 10 sections and placed them in a baking dish exactly the way they were before I cut them.  They looked like they had never been cut…it looked prettier this way when I served it)

11.    Bake for 25 minutes at 400F

 
When David ate these he placed slices of cheese inside.  I was toying with placing cheese in the buns while baking but I thought the cheese would burn instead of melt nicely.

I realize the rolling instructions may be a bit hard to understand (I wasn’t prepared to put my doughy hands all over my pretty camera!) but really, rolling it up like a standard cinnamon bun would work just as well!
 
I tend not to follow recipes perfectly when I cook so feel free to modify mine in some way but be sure to tell me about it!


 

Labels:

Our Wood Home: pigs-in-a-blanket...for adults!

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

pigs-in-a-blanket...for adults!


When I was a kid my mom would make my brothers and I the most decadent of meals…pigs in a blanket.  We’d watch eagerly as she boiled the hot dogs and carefully opened that delicious tube of Pillsbury crescent roll dough.  Mmm…I’m not ashamed to say I would eat a pig in a blanket if one was offered to me.

I didn’t post my food memory just to be nostalgic; I posted it because I have created the adult version of pigs in a blanket!  Last week my husband requested ham for dinner.  I’ve only ever seen my mom make ham and she would just put a whole hunk of meat into the slow cooker and sprinkle it with brown sugar.  I asked David how he wanted me to cook it and he suggested I use the leftover Guinness BBQ sauce.  After a full 7 hours of slow cooking, we were ready to eat our glorious ham (yeah, I’m a bit dramatic).  I served it with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.  We had some ham leftover so David asked me to make ‘ham buns’ (similar to the pork buns I’ve made before).  I used the same dough recipe as I did for the pork buns and David declared pork/ham buns are his new favourite food.  As we were eating he said the ham kind of tasted like hot dogs.  I took a few more bites and agreed.  Then I told him the dough tasted like the Pillsbury crescent rolls…so ham that tastes like hotdogs + dough that tastes like Pillsbury rolls = PIGS IN A BLANKET FOR ADULTS!  Oooooh my goodness, what have I created?! 

Instructions:
  • place whole ham in a slow cooker and cover with the sauce (recipe here!)
  • cook on Low for 6 hours
  • remove the pork chops and shred them using a fork and knife (it's suuuuper easy!)
  • cool before placing on dough
  • pour remaning sauce into a colinder and strain out an large pieces
  • store strained sauce in a container in the fridge and use for dipping or adding to cooked buns
 
Dough Recipie and Instructions:

  • 2 cups of flour
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 4 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1 cup cold milk
  1. Mix together the dry ingredients  
2.      Cut in butter until dough becomes crumbly

3.      Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk

4.      Stir to form a soft dough then turn out onto floured surface

5.      Knead 8-10 times and roll into a rectangle

6.      Place cut and cooled ham in a row about 2/3 of the way down dough

7.      Roll the dough and ham into a log by wrapping the bottom section of dough over the ham

8.      Cover that wrapped dough with the top section of dough and “glue” in place with melted butter

9.      Insert toothpicks to keep dough together if needed

10.   (I cut my log into 10 sections and placed them in a baking dish exactly the way they were before I cut them.  They looked like they had never been cut…it looked prettier this way when I served it)

11.    Bake for 25 minutes at 400F

 
When David ate these he placed slices of cheese inside.  I was toying with placing cheese in the buns while baking but I thought the cheese would burn instead of melt nicely.

I realize the rolling instructions may be a bit hard to understand (I wasn’t prepared to put my doughy hands all over my pretty camera!) but really, rolling it up like a standard cinnamon bun would work just as well!
 
I tend not to follow recipes perfectly when I cook so feel free to modify mine in some way but be sure to tell me about it!


 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home