soup for a sickie


My husband got the flu this past weekend…it was awful.  When I say flu, I mean the actual influenza virus.  We went to the emergency room and he was given a prescription meant to treat the flu virus.  Needless to say he didn’t feel like doing much of anything for the rest of the weekend.  He didn’t even feel like eating!  But he said he was okay with chicken soup so I scoured my recipe books for a good one (David isn’t fond of brothy soups and prefers stews so I was actually looking for a chicken stew recipe).   The original recipe I found was Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder…but I modified it to suit our tastes.

 Ingredients:

 Directions:

  1. Put garlic powder, thyme, tomatoe paste, flour and  2 cups chicken stock in a large skillet or pot and bring to a boil
  2. Transfer to slow cooker and add the remaining broth, potatoes, carrots and bay leaves.  Add the chicken and cover.  Cook until chicken is tender (4-6 hours on low).
  3. In a small bowl microwave the red pepper in small amount of oil until pepper has softend slightly.  Add peppers and cream to slow cooker and stir well. 
  4. Serve!

 The recipe in my book called for bacon pieces but David doesn’t like bacon so I skipped it.  I think the bacon was included to bring smokiness to the soup so I substituted pulled pork spice.  I’m not sure how accessible this is to most people but we found it at our local bulk food chain store.  It’s a pretty strong spice so use it sparingly!  Chopped onions and a can of creamed corn are also supposed to be in this soup but I’m honestly not a fan of chopping onions.  The creamed corn was left out because David didn’t want it. 

I usually don’t like creamy soups or chowders but this soup was so delicious!!  David started feeling better after eating but he said it was really flavourful.  I thought that was a good thing but he said it was a bit overwhelming for his stomach…keep that in mind if you make this soup for a sickie.  Later that day I learned that red peppers are a natural fever reducer which would explain why he felt better after eating. 

This recipe is a great one for sickies because it’s hearty and contains good ingredients.  Buuut it’s also good as an everyday meal :)

 

 

Labels:

Our Wood Home: soup for a sickie

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

soup for a sickie


My husband got the flu this past weekend…it was awful.  When I say flu, I mean the actual influenza virus.  We went to the emergency room and he was given a prescription meant to treat the flu virus.  Needless to say he didn’t feel like doing much of anything for the rest of the weekend.  He didn’t even feel like eating!  But he said he was okay with chicken soup so I scoured my recipe books for a good one (David isn’t fond of brothy soups and prefers stews so I was actually looking for a chicken stew recipe).   The original recipe I found was Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder…but I modified it to suit our tastes.

 Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 tablespoon pulled pork spice (I used this is place of bacon pieces)
  • ¼ cup flour
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 2 large red potatoes, cut into pieces
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 2 bay leaves                                             
  • 1 ½ pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into pieces
  • 1 red pepper cut into small pieces
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • 3 tablespoons dried cilantro

 Directions:

  1. Put garlic powder, thyme, tomatoe paste, flour and  2 cups chicken stock in a large skillet or pot and bring to a boil
  2. Transfer to slow cooker and add the remaining broth, potatoes, carrots and bay leaves.  Add the chicken and cover.  Cook until chicken is tender (4-6 hours on low).
  3. In a small bowl microwave the red pepper in small amount of oil until pepper has softend slightly.  Add peppers and cream to slow cooker and stir well. 
  4. Serve!

 The recipe in my book called for bacon pieces but David doesn’t like bacon so I skipped it.  I think the bacon was included to bring smokiness to the soup so I substituted pulled pork spice.  I’m not sure how accessible this is to most people but we found it at our local bulk food chain store.  It’s a pretty strong spice so use it sparingly!  Chopped onions and a can of creamed corn are also supposed to be in this soup but I’m honestly not a fan of chopping onions.  The creamed corn was left out because David didn’t want it. 

I usually don’t like creamy soups or chowders but this soup was so delicious!!  David started feeling better after eating but he said it was really flavourful.  I thought that was a good thing but he said it was a bit overwhelming for his stomach…keep that in mind if you make this soup for a sickie.  Later that day I learned that red peppers are a natural fever reducer which would explain why he felt better after eating. 

This recipe is a great one for sickies because it’s hearty and contains good ingredients.  Buuut it’s also good as an everyday meal :)

 

 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home