Christina, how does your garden grow?

Remember that nursery rhyme: Mary, Mary quite contrary. How does your garden grow? With silver bells, and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row!  Well, my title of this post is supposed to a reference to that!

I've been spending a lot of time gardening lately and this past weekend I decided to focus more on potted plants for my back deck.
This year we decided to grow various hot peppers ( we bought them from the store as the size in the images), raspberries and wild strawberries.  We found wild strawberry plants growing all across our lawn so I thought I'd try to grow them in pots.

We also got some potted herbs that are now growing in a pot outside too.  David made some drainage holes in a lovely pot we already had and then secured it to the railing just outside the deck door.  I specifically requested the herb pot be within easy reach from the kitchen because I can be a bit lazy sometimes...and when I'm cooking I don't really want to traipse across the yard or deck. 

Later in the summer we will be getting some heirloom tomato plants from a friend of David's.  We had each gotten some for the past few years for our individual homes but never bothered to save the seeds.  So that's what we will do this year! 

We also ordered some topsoil for our veggie garden, which we can finally start to develop!  The garden is going to be about 9 by 20 feet and smack dab in the middle of our front yard!  It's a really sunny spot, plus we are proud to have such a large garden. 

Here are pictures of the potted peppers and my lovely herbs.



Labels:

Our Wood Home: Christina, how does your garden grow?

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Christina, how does your garden grow?

Remember that nursery rhyme: Mary, Mary quite contrary. How does your garden grow? With silver bells, and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row!  Well, my title of this post is supposed to a reference to that!

I've been spending a lot of time gardening lately and this past weekend I decided to focus more on potted plants for my back deck.
This year we decided to grow various hot peppers ( we bought them from the store as the size in the images), raspberries and wild strawberries.  We found wild strawberry plants growing all across our lawn so I thought I'd try to grow them in pots.

We also got some potted herbs that are now growing in a pot outside too.  David made some drainage holes in a lovely pot we already had and then secured it to the railing just outside the deck door.  I specifically requested the herb pot be within easy reach from the kitchen because I can be a bit lazy sometimes...and when I'm cooking I don't really want to traipse across the yard or deck. 

Later in the summer we will be getting some heirloom tomato plants from a friend of David's.  We had each gotten some for the past few years for our individual homes but never bothered to save the seeds.  So that's what we will do this year! 

We also ordered some topsoil for our veggie garden, which we can finally start to develop!  The garden is going to be about 9 by 20 feet and smack dab in the middle of our front yard!  It's a really sunny spot, plus we are proud to have such a large garden. 

Here are pictures of the potted peppers and my lovely herbs.



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home