BBQ sauce cupcakes

You read the title right...BBQ sauce cupcakes. 

There's a grocery store chain in my area that offers a free cooking magazine at their stores.  Most of the recipes are using specific ingredients found at their stores (store brand products) but they have good ideas.  The issue I got the other day had a feature on recipes using their new BBQ sauce.  Some of them were okay, like pizza sauce or pasta salad...but they cupcake recipe caught my eye.  I don't actually like store bought BBQ sauce but I really wanted to test this idea out. So I bought the specific brand of sauce recommended and baked up a batch of these goodies yesterday afternoon.

Cupcakes:
Icing:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Blend all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl using an electric mixer (blend for 2 minutes on medium speed)
  2. Divide batter into 24 lined muffin cups and bake on middle rack of oven for 18-20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then move to rack and cool completely. 
  3. Using an electric mixer, blend butter until smooth.  Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 1 minute. 
  4. Ice the cooled cupcakes


My verdict
The recipe says the cupcakes are "Sweet, with a hint of smoke and spice". 

The cakes themselves were okay.  The BBQ sauce added a little somethin' somethin' in terms of flavour.  I felt like the icing was too strong and tasted weird.  I was also really grossed because I was eating CAKE with BBQ SAUCE!  Eeeeew....it's a really weird combination! 
But, my husband liked them!
I probably won't be making this exact recipe again.  I would likely make the cupcakes exactly the same but would use a different frosting that is sauce-free. 

If you decide to make these for someone, don't tell them there is BBQ sauce.  They might get weirded our like I did. 



Labels:

Our Wood Home: BBQ sauce cupcakes

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

BBQ sauce cupcakes

You read the title right...BBQ sauce cupcakes. 

There's a grocery store chain in my area that offers a free cooking magazine at their stores.  Most of the recipes are using specific ingredients found at their stores (store brand products) but they have good ideas.  The issue I got the other day had a feature on recipes using their new BBQ sauce.  Some of them were okay, like pizza sauce or pasta salad...but they cupcake recipe caught my eye.  I don't actually like store bought BBQ sauce but I really wanted to test this idea out. So I bought the specific brand of sauce recommended and baked up a batch of these goodies yesterday afternoon.

Cupcakes:
  • 1 box dark chocolate cake mix
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup Sensations by Compliments No Limits Barbecue Sauce
Icing:
  • 1 cup room temp butter
  • 3 cups icing sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup 35% cream
  • 2 tablespoons BBQ Sauce (same brand as above)
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.  Blend all the cupcake ingredients in a large bowl using an electric mixer (blend for 2 minutes on medium speed)
  2. Divide batter into 24 lined muffin cups and bake on middle rack of oven for 18-20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then move to rack and cool completely. 
  3. Using an electric mixer, blend butter until smooth.  Add sugar 1/2 cup at a time.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 1 minute. 
  4. Ice the cooled cupcakes


My verdict
The recipe says the cupcakes are "Sweet, with a hint of smoke and spice". 

The cakes themselves were okay.  The BBQ sauce added a little somethin' somethin' in terms of flavour.  I felt like the icing was too strong and tasted weird.  I was also really grossed because I was eating CAKE with BBQ SAUCE!  Eeeeew....it's a really weird combination! 
But, my husband liked them!
I probably won't be making this exact recipe again.  I would likely make the cupcakes exactly the same but would use a different frosting that is sauce-free. 

If you decide to make these for someone, don't tell them there is BBQ sauce.  They might get weirded our like I did. 



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home