my closet


Ta-Daaaaaa!  What you're looking at is my 6ft by 11ft closet.  In fact, I have my very own closet room:)  Our bedroom closet is way to small for David and I to share so that's just for his clothes.  I have so much that I got this giant closet that is in one of the 3 upstairs bedrooms.  What you're seeing here is just my fall/winter clothing; the summer is packed away but gets rotated in as the seasons change. I store my pajamas in our room and coats and mitts in the hall closet, but everything else is kept in this closet room.

On the left side you will see my blouses and cardigans.  The shelves in the middle hold sweaters, jeans and casual clothes.  On the right I keep dresses, skirts and dress pants.  I store my purses, shoes scarves and belts across the very top shelf, and my socks and tights are in boxes on the floor.





I do have running shoes and flats, but they are currently at the front door instead of in my closet. 

Sometimes it's difficult to have a closet without doors because that means I need to keep it tidy all the time.  But that's why I love it...I'm forced to be neat!  My closet room is the first room you pass going down our hallway so people would see my filthy mess of a closet.  Which is also what motivated me to keep it organized and clean.  I spent a whole morning going through each piece of clothing and sorting it into piles:
I can be very emotional with clothes, so sometimes it's hard to get rid of them.  But I know if I am keeping it but not wearing it, there is probably someone out there who would love to wear it.  That being said, I do have a box of old t-shirts I used to wear in high school.  They are special to me because I got each of them at  concert and seeing them brings back memories.  I will never wear them again, but I decided it's important for me to keep them anyway. 

Going though so much stuff was quite tiring and stressful at times, but the end result is worth it.  I have more room for the clothing I have, I can see what pieces I still need to get and I can make sure everything gets worn.  If you're feeling brave and want to go through your closet here are some tips I'd like to share.

  1. set aside a block of several hours to tackle your clothes
  2. make piles for keeping, donating and throwing away
  3. try to think practically about each piece (for example, I donated a dress I loved the look of, but hadn't worn in years because it looked silly on me).  If you haven't worn it for several months you probably won't do it any time soon
  4. get rid of duplicate items...do you really need 6 pairs of identical black pants?!  I have 3 pair, but each have a different leg length
  5. once you have decided what to keep, organize it in your closet so that  each item is easier to find. I folded the clothes I wear most often at eye level and kept the lesser used pieces closer to the ground
Good luck with your overhaul!



Labels:

Our Wood Home: my closet

Monday, November 11, 2013

my closet


Ta-Daaaaaa!  What you're looking at is my 6ft by 11ft closet.  In fact, I have my very own closet room:)  Our bedroom closet is way to small for David and I to share so that's just for his clothes.  I have so much that I got this giant closet that is in one of the 3 upstairs bedrooms.  What you're seeing here is just my fall/winter clothing; the summer is packed away but gets rotated in as the seasons change. I store my pajamas in our room and coats and mitts in the hall closet, but everything else is kept in this closet room.

On the left side you will see my blouses and cardigans.  The shelves in the middle hold sweaters, jeans and casual clothes.  On the right I keep dresses, skirts and dress pants.  I store my purses, shoes scarves and belts across the very top shelf, and my socks and tights are in boxes on the floor.





I do have running shoes and flats, but they are currently at the front door instead of in my closet. 

Sometimes it's difficult to have a closet without doors because that means I need to keep it tidy all the time.  But that's why I love it...I'm forced to be neat!  My closet room is the first room you pass going down our hallway so people would see my filthy mess of a closet.  Which is also what motivated me to keep it organized and clean.  I spent a whole morning going through each piece of clothing and sorting it into piles:
  • keep and pack away for summer
  • keep and store in closet
  • give away
  • throw away
I can be very emotional with clothes, so sometimes it's hard to get rid of them.  But I know if I am keeping it but not wearing it, there is probably someone out there who would love to wear it.  That being said, I do have a box of old t-shirts I used to wear in high school.  They are special to me because I got each of them at  concert and seeing them brings back memories.  I will never wear them again, but I decided it's important for me to keep them anyway. 

Going though so much stuff was quite tiring and stressful at times, but the end result is worth it.  I have more room for the clothing I have, I can see what pieces I still need to get and I can make sure everything gets worn.  If you're feeling brave and want to go through your closet here are some tips I'd like to share.

  1. set aside a block of several hours to tackle your clothes
  2. make piles for keeping, donating and throwing away
  3. try to think practically about each piece (for example, I donated a dress I loved the look of, but hadn't worn in years because it looked silly on me).  If you haven't worn it for several months you probably won't do it any time soon
  4. get rid of duplicate items...do you really need 6 pairs of identical black pants?!  I have 3 pair, but each have a different leg length
  5. once you have decided what to keep, organize it in your closet so that  each item is easier to find. I folded the clothes I wear most often at eye level and kept the lesser used pieces closer to the ground
Good luck with your overhaul!



Labels:

1 Comments:

At November 16, 2013 at 8:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your closet!!! I wish I had that much space

 

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home