homemade fruit gummies

I have a confession: I'm a 23 year old adult who loves gummy candy.  Seriously, I could eat it all day. Sour, sweet, fruity, sugar coated, etc...you name it and I will eat it.  I know candy isn't healthy so I try to limit my consumption but THEN I came across a recipe for homemade gummy candies. What the what?!   They are made with gelatin, which I always heard was bad for you, which saddened me because I also love Jello.  Apparently though, gelatin may actually be good for you!   Yaaaaay!!  So obviously I had to whip up a batch of my own gummies and see how they taste compared to my beloved sugar and dye filled store bought version.


Ingredients:

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small pot over low heat
  2. Whisk until gelatin dissolves and everything is combined
  3. Pour into jelly molds and freeze for 30 minutes
  4. Eat!
The original recipe says to use grass fed gelatin, which is nice, but I wasn't about to spend a ton of money of glorified animal skin and bones...I bought regular gelatin at the grocery store to test this recipe.  Now that I know it works I'm going to do some research and see if buying grain fed gelatin is worth it for us.  I also used an ice cube tray instead of jelly molds.  I froze them for 30 minutes, which gave them the perfect texture!  To remove from the ice cube trays I just ran a knife around the edges of each cube and the gummies slid out.  

These homemade gummies taste a lot better than the store bought kinds!  The store bought cherry candies taste sort of like cough syrup but the homemade kind taste like REAL cherries, which is great.  I'm excited to try other flavours of juice next time...maybe apple mixed with lemon juice to make sour green apple!?!

What flavours would you try?  Comment below, send me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com), tweet me @OurWoodHomeblog or tell me on Facebook.


Labels:

Our Wood Home: homemade fruit gummies

Friday, February 7, 2014

homemade fruit gummies

I have a confession: I'm a 23 year old adult who loves gummy candy.  Seriously, I could eat it all day. Sour, sweet, fruity, sugar coated, etc...you name it and I will eat it.  I know candy isn't healthy so I try to limit my consumption but THEN I came across a recipe for homemade gummy candies. What the what?!   They are made with gelatin, which I always heard was bad for you, which saddened me because I also love Jello.  Apparently though, gelatin may actually be good for you!   Yaaaaay!!  So obviously I had to whip up a batch of my own gummies and see how they taste compared to my beloved sugar and dye filled store bought version.


Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup fruit juice (I used organic tart cherry)
  • 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice (lemon makes it nice and sour)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons gelatin
Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a small pot over low heat
  2. Whisk until gelatin dissolves and everything is combined
  3. Pour into jelly molds and freeze for 30 minutes
  4. Eat!
The original recipe says to use grass fed gelatin, which is nice, but I wasn't about to spend a ton of money of glorified animal skin and bones...I bought regular gelatin at the grocery store to test this recipe.  Now that I know it works I'm going to do some research and see if buying grain fed gelatin is worth it for us.  I also used an ice cube tray instead of jelly molds.  I froze them for 30 minutes, which gave them the perfect texture!  To remove from the ice cube trays I just ran a knife around the edges of each cube and the gummies slid out.  

These homemade gummies taste a lot better than the store bought kinds!  The store bought cherry candies taste sort of like cough syrup but the homemade kind taste like REAL cherries, which is great.  I'm excited to try other flavours of juice next time...maybe apple mixed with lemon juice to make sour green apple!?!

What flavours would you try?  Comment below, send me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com), tweet me @OurWoodHomeblog or tell me on Facebook.


Labels:

2 Comments:

At February 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Naturally Mindful said...

Christina, thank you for linking to my elderberry gummies, I'm glad to hear now you are enjoying the goodness of gelatin! I'll share your post on my Facebook page!

 
At February 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Christina said...

My pleasure, and thank you:)

 

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home