(Sort of Healthy) Peanut Butter Cake

I recently came across a recipe for a delicious sounding peanut butter cake but was shocked to read how much sugar was used.  3 cups!!! After some research I decided to use maple syrup instead of sugar.  The original recipe called for 1/2 cup butter but I swapped that out for banana in an attempt to make this cake more healthy.  I'm really pleased with the way this cake turned out!! I used whole wheat flour, as I do for everything I bake, and it tends to make cakes dense or dry.  The cake was a little dense, but I prefer to call it hearty:)


Ingredients:

For the glaze:
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325F
  2. In a large bowl mix together the peanut butter and banana.  Add maple syrup and eggs and mix well.
  3. Add the flour and baking soda and stir until flour disappears (careful not to over mix!!)
  4. Stir in chocolate chips
  5. Pour into a bundt pan and bake for about 40 minutes
  6. Allow cake to cool out of the pan on a wire rack.
  7. To make frosting, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until creamy.  Pour over cake and sprinkle with chips.
*notes*  
You  use white flour, just add about half a cup.  
A bundt pan is round with a hole in the center.  Any baking pan will work though, just adjust bake time accordingly (a large square pan may require less baking time).  


You could totally skip the frosting all together to make this cake REALLY sugar free. Or you could melt some peanut butter and pour that over...yummy!  I personally like the frosting listed above:)


You may be thinking "How dare she say this cake is sugar free?!! Maple syrup is all sugar!!" and you'd be right.  But I used real maple syrup for a local producer, so I know the only thing in it is pure maple syrup...no added sugar, colour or preservatives.  So yeah, it's still a sugar but it's a naturally occurring sugar and it makes me feel good to use instead of white sugar. BUT, you can use white sugar if you want...I really won't judge (I know not everyone has the luxury of buying real maple syrup and white sugar is less expensive). 




The house smelled so good while this was baking!!!  When my husband came home from work we actually had cake before dinner :)  I'd love your feedback on this recipe, so comment below, Facebook me or talk to me on twitter (@OurWoodHomeblog). 




Labels:

Our Wood Home: (Sort of Healthy) Peanut Butter Cake

Saturday, February 22, 2014

(Sort of Healthy) Peanut Butter Cake

I recently came across a recipe for a delicious sounding peanut butter cake but was shocked to read how much sugar was used.  3 cups!!! After some research I decided to use maple syrup instead of sugar.  The original recipe called for 1/2 cup butter but I swapped that out for banana in an attempt to make this cake more healthy.  I'm really pleased with the way this cake turned out!! I used whole wheat flour, as I do for everything I bake, and it tends to make cakes dense or dry.  The cake was a little dense, but I prefer to call it hearty:)


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1.5 cups maple syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
For the glaze:
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1-1.5 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • chocolate chips for sprinkling
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325F
  2. In a large bowl mix together the peanut butter and banana.  Add maple syrup and eggs and mix well.
  3. Add the flour and baking soda and stir until flour disappears (careful not to over mix!!)
  4. Stir in chocolate chips
  5. Pour into a bundt pan and bake for about 40 minutes
  6. Allow cake to cool out of the pan on a wire rack.
  7. To make frosting, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until creamy.  Pour over cake and sprinkle with chips.
*notes*  
You  use white flour, just add about half a cup.  
A bundt pan is round with a hole in the center.  Any baking pan will work though, just adjust bake time accordingly (a large square pan may require less baking time).  


You could totally skip the frosting all together to make this cake REALLY sugar free. Or you could melt some peanut butter and pour that over...yummy!  I personally like the frosting listed above:)


You may be thinking "How dare she say this cake is sugar free?!! Maple syrup is all sugar!!" and you'd be right.  But I used real maple syrup for a local producer, so I know the only thing in it is pure maple syrup...no added sugar, colour or preservatives.  So yeah, it's still a sugar but it's a naturally occurring sugar and it makes me feel good to use instead of white sugar. BUT, you can use white sugar if you want...I really won't judge (I know not everyone has the luxury of buying real maple syrup and white sugar is less expensive). 




The house smelled so good while this was baking!!!  When my husband came home from work we actually had cake before dinner :)  I'd love your feedback on this recipe, so comment below, Facebook me or talk to me on twitter (@OurWoodHomeblog). 




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home