Vegan Banana Bread

Today I'm sharing a modified version of a classic: banana bread that is vegan and sugar free.

sugar free banana bread

Before I post the recipe I wanted to explain why I made some adjustments to a perfectly good recipe.  First of all, I was out of sugar so I used honey.  Secondly, I knew that butter and eggs can be replaced with bananas in cooking so I figured it was worth a try.  I really enjoy modifying recipes just to see if it's possible.  We aren't vegan and we don't have any food allergies but this banana bread is still a good recipe for us because it's a little healthier than a traditional version.

dairy free banana bread


Ingredients:
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a loaf pan (you could use vegetable oil or a vegan butter spread)
  2. Stir honey and bananas together in a medium bowl
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the honey and banana mixture and stir until just combined and the flour disappears
  4. Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes (cooking time varies with each oven)
  5. Cool in the pan on a wire rack


dairy free banana bread

So, I did use sugar here but it's a naturally occurring sugar so I like to think it's healthier than refined white sugar.  I also added some oats to give it a nice texture and make it heartier.  The chocolate chips I used were actually not vegan because I didn't have any on hand, but a variety of stores carry vegan chocolate chips or you can order some online.  If you're looking to be even MORE heath conscious may I suggest raw vegan cacao nibs?  My sister-in-law is a raw vegan, which means she doesn't eat anything cooked or anything that comes from animals, and she introduced me to cacao nibs.  I'll admit I haven't acquired a taste for it yet when eaten plain but it tastes pretty good in baked goods (of course, she doesn't actually cook the desserts she makes but the cacao is mixed with other things like fruit).

Usually I enjoy sugary snacks and this banana bread satisfies those cravings but ensures I'm not just eating empty calories.  Plus, since there is good stuff like oats and honey a slice of this makes an excellent breakfast!

Are there any other recipes you'd like to see made vegan?  Send me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com) or comment below and I'll see what I can do!


Labels:

Our Wood Home: Vegan Banana Bread

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Vegan Banana Bread

Today I'm sharing a modified version of a classic: banana bread that is vegan and sugar free.

sugar free banana bread

Before I post the recipe I wanted to explain why I made some adjustments to a perfectly good recipe.  First of all, I was out of sugar so I used honey.  Secondly, I knew that butter and eggs can be replaced with bananas in cooking so I figured it was worth a try.  I really enjoy modifying recipes just to see if it's possible.  We aren't vegan and we don't have any food allergies but this banana bread is still a good recipe for us because it's a little healthier than a traditional version.

dairy free banana bread


Ingredients:
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned oats
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (or to make it truly vegan use these!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a loaf pan (you could use vegetable oil or a vegan butter spread)
  2. Stir honey and bananas together in a medium bowl
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the honey and banana mixture and stir until just combined and the flour disappears
  4. Pour into loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes (cooking time varies with each oven)
  5. Cool in the pan on a wire rack


dairy free banana bread

So, I did use sugar here but it's a naturally occurring sugar so I like to think it's healthier than refined white sugar.  I also added some oats to give it a nice texture and make it heartier.  The chocolate chips I used were actually not vegan because I didn't have any on hand, but a variety of stores carry vegan chocolate chips or you can order some online.  If you're looking to be even MORE heath conscious may I suggest raw vegan cacao nibs?  My sister-in-law is a raw vegan, which means she doesn't eat anything cooked or anything that comes from animals, and she introduced me to cacao nibs.  I'll admit I haven't acquired a taste for it yet when eaten plain but it tastes pretty good in baked goods (of course, she doesn't actually cook the desserts she makes but the cacao is mixed with other things like fruit).

Usually I enjoy sugary snacks and this banana bread satisfies those cravings but ensures I'm not just eating empty calories.  Plus, since there is good stuff like oats and honey a slice of this makes an excellent breakfast!

Are there any other recipes you'd like to see made vegan?  Send me an e-mail (davidswife2574@gmail.com) or comment below and I'll see what I can do!


Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2014 at 7:38 AM , Anonymous A. Smith said...

Could I use white flour instead of whole wheat? And shredded coconut instead of oats?

 
At March 27, 2014 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Christina said...

Yes, white flour would work! And coconut could easily be substituted for oats...I had oats on hand so that's why I used them.

 

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home