Easy Spring Planter

Last summer I painted our front door a nice, dark purple.  Previously it was brown and there was an ugly old screen door too...There's nothing wrong with  brown door but when your house is almost the exact same shade it can be a little boring.  I really like the purple colour but the door seemed to be lacking something special.  I had thought about making a spring time wreath, but I'd have to buy all the supplies and that can add up.  I saw this idea for door decoration and knew I just had to try it out for myself.

spring door decoration

I used plants that were already growing in my garden but you could buy flowers that are already blooming if you wanted, or even use fresh cut flowers instead.

Materials:

Directions: 

1. Tie ribbon to the spout and handle of the water can using a double knot


2. Fill the small pot with dirt and place your plants in. Add more dirt to cover roots/bulb


3. Place pot in watering can and hang the whole thing on your door (my door had a screw already in place but you can use a strong suction cup or even a wreath hanger to hang your flower pot).

spring door decoration

4. Water as needed


Obviously my plants haven't bloomed yet so my planter doesn't look so spectacular yet.  But I know they will bloom soon so I can wait. If you're looking to create a beautiful planter and don't want to wait long, you can buy some plants from a garden center that are already blooming.  Mine happened to be bulbs I had growing in my garden that needed a new home.  If you're having trouble finding a watering can flower pot, check Ebay or just use a regular metal flower pot and drill holes in the sides for the ribbon.  Whichever pot you use make sure you plant the flowers in a pot that has drainage holes in the bottom!! Without them your plants might become moldy due to excessive water.

This whole project took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish and it was FREE since I had all the supplies on hand.  It was easy, looks cute and will last for a decent amount of time and when the plants are done blooming I can easily replace them.

Let me know if you plan on trying this out!


Labels: ,

Our Wood Home: Easy Spring Planter

Monday, April 21, 2014

Easy Spring Planter

Last summer I painted our front door a nice, dark purple.  Previously it was brown and there was an ugly old screen door too...There's nothing wrong with  brown door but when your house is almost the exact same shade it can be a little boring.  I really like the purple colour but the door seemed to be lacking something special.  I had thought about making a spring time wreath, but I'd have to buy all the supplies and that can add up.  I saw this idea for door decoration and knew I just had to try it out for myself.

spring door decoration

I used plants that were already growing in my garden but you could buy flowers that are already blooming if you wanted, or even use fresh cut flowers instead.

Materials:
  • metal watering can (mine just so happened to be a flower pot shaped like a can)
  • strong ribbon
  • dirt (I used garden soil but you can use potting mix)
  • small flower pot with holes in bottom to fit into watering can
  • bulbs or other plant

Directions: 

1. Tie ribbon to the spout and handle of the water can using a double knot


2. Fill the small pot with dirt and place your plants in. Add more dirt to cover roots/bulb


3. Place pot in watering can and hang the whole thing on your door (my door had a screw already in place but you can use a strong suction cup or even a wreath hanger to hang your flower pot).

spring door decoration

4. Water as needed


Obviously my plants haven't bloomed yet so my planter doesn't look so spectacular yet.  But I know they will bloom soon so I can wait. If you're looking to create a beautiful planter and don't want to wait long, you can buy some plants from a garden center that are already blooming.  Mine happened to be bulbs I had growing in my garden that needed a new home.  If you're having trouble finding a watering can flower pot, check Ebay or just use a regular metal flower pot and drill holes in the sides for the ribbon.  Whichever pot you use make sure you plant the flowers in a pot that has drainage holes in the bottom!! Without them your plants might become moldy due to excessive water.

This whole project took me less than 10 minutes from start to finish and it was FREE since I had all the supplies on hand.  It was easy, looks cute and will last for a decent amount of time and when the plants are done blooming I can easily replace them.

Let me know if you plan on trying this out!


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home